[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Mon Jan 13 16:01:33 EST 2014

On 01/13/2014 03:33 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org
> <mailto:kentborg at borg.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/13/2014 02:35 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>         There should be a penalty, no question. But what should the
>         penalty be?
>

>     How important *is* this conference?  I admit I have never attended...
>

> It is the only international trade show for the IT security industry.
>
> Try 10,000 people coming to buy products to protect themselves from
> the NSA etc.
>

> This is not acceptable collateral damage.

I'm not very impressed with the IP security industry ("Firewalls,
anti-virus software, latest Service Packs--okay, we are set."--seems to
be the dominant attitude I see...).  Leaving them navel gazing for a
year wondering what they should do now...doesn't seem that bad to me.
Forgive me for over generalizing here.

On the other side, will the alternative security conference I am imaging
pop up anyway?  Can RSA be allowed to wither for a couple years in the
meantime?

It seems it will go on--it hasn't been canceled and would be expensive
to cancel so it won't.  There will be a lot of noise, the boycott folks
will make a big point--but not manage to cancel it. There will be some
empty sessions.  If Colbert cancels that will be big news and help make
the point of what a damaged brand "RSA" is, if he doesn't cancel I
predict Colbert will skewer RSA in his performance and make them wish he
had canceled.  They get further burned either way.  Hmmm.

-kb