[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:23:16 EST 2014

Yes, we all know that RSA got punked by the NSA. But this boycott some folk
are pushing seems like a terrible idea to me.

What is important now is to get people to deploy and use defenses. Which
means making the most of the communication platforms we already have.

Even if a boycott of RSA was to work the best it could achieve is to damage
the main industry trade show. It would take any replacement several years
to recover. In the meantime we have no venue to sell security product.
Black Hat is not RSA and does not want to turn into RSA. They have
deliberately created a totally different value proposition.

The boycott proposal is purely punitive. They have no demand. Which is a
very weak position. We did not boycott Bigot-fil-a to punish them. We were
demanding that they stopped being bigoted. What are the boycotters
demanding of RSA?

Unless someone shows evidence that RSA actually knew they were being
punked, the boycott makes no sense. And I can't believe that evidence
exists because there was absolutely no need to tell RSA they were being
punked to get the outcome they wanted.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/