[Cryptography] toll bills, was Encryption opinion

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 26 17:28:49 EDT 2014

> I've not been on any of those
>roads, but I've gotten three e-mailed bills in the last two weeks
>that to the unskeptical eye look fully legitimate, which also
>indicates that the phishers know that my geolocation makes driving
>such roads plausible.

It's not geolocation, everyone is getting E-ZPass spam this month.  I
have an E-ZPass account, and can report that it looks nothing like the
real mail they send, which just tells you to look at their web site
for a statement or other message.  This is aimed at the same kinds of
suckers who fall for 419.

I also got an actual e-mail this month from an actual toll road
telling me about an actual charge due to actually driving on it.  It
was the 407 in Toronto, not E-ZPass, and I knew they'd be billing me
so I set up an account so they'd e-mail me instead of the default
paper bill, but still ...

R's,
John

PS: So is there any crypto on toll transponders, or could I
skim them from the side of the road and make clones?