[Cryptography] Encryption opinion

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Tue Aug 26 07:03:00 EDT 2014

 | I think the most effective class of phishing attacks right now in
 | fact can easily be beaten.
 |
 | This is the message that purports to be from someone with whom you
 | have a pre-existing security relationship: your bank, your ISP,
 | a business from which you buy things online, or your email provider,
 | or whatever.

As a side note, the state of Massachusetts has just moved to toll
roads without toll takers, using license plate cameras instead to
send you a bill for a few dollars.  I've not been on any of those
roads, but I've gotten three e-mailed bills in the last two weeks
that to the unskeptical eye look fully legitimate, which also
indicates that the phishers know that my geolocation makes driving
such roads plausible.

You may not buy from Company XYZ, but everybody is a client of their
respective government...

--dan