[Cryptography] On 40-bit encryption

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Wed Aug 20 14:54:37 EDT 2014

On 08/19/2014 02:43 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Nothing stronger than 40 bits was permitted to be exported, because it was
> classed as a munition (I'll leave the politics etc out of it, as there's
> too much confusion with both PGP and alleged RC4 being leaked, and strong
> crypto development by non-US nations).
You can find much of the background export control information on
Bert-Jaap Koop's Crypto Law Survey:
http://www.cryptolaw.org/index.html

Also good information on the various lawsuits challenging export control
over the years.

One of the reasons for relaxing the export regs was that they were
hurting US businesses.
The regs made creating crypto products much more complex as you needed
to have different versions for different export regimes.

Eric