[Cryptography] On 40-bit encryption

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Aug 19 17:43:53 EDT 2014

OK, call me a newbie (which basically I am), but I'm baffled by something
that's popped up in a couple of threads here, so for the benefit of me and
other newbies, I'd appreciate an authoritative answer (and I don't mean
Wikipedia - the place is rife with edit wars in general).

Nothing stronger than 40 bits was permitted to be exported, because it was
classed as a munition (I'll leave the politics etc out of it, as there's
too much confusion with both PGP and alleged RC4 being leaked, and strong
crypto development by non-US nations).

It then got relaxed, apparently because the "enemy" already have strong
crypto so it was pointless.

I now read that because RSA is so strong, it resulted in the aforesaid
relaxation; this doesn't seem to pass the sniff test for this non-US
citizen....

-- Dave