[Cryptography] Adapting AES for arbitrarily large keys

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Mon Aug 18 04:14:51 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc W. Abel
Subject: [Cryptography] Adapting AES for arbitrarily large keys

> Would AES be any weaker had it been designated, for instance, as AES-1408,
> AES-1664, and AES-1792, with keys of this size being directly generated
> and used, and no subkey expansion at all?

What you're looking for is Rijndael, that is the original name for AES
before it was selected to be AES. IIRC the keying system is specified for
any n*32 bit key, the key expansion itself it actually necessary (more
rounds are needed for security), and while I'm not certain the original
paper had the necessary relationship between key length and rounds, I know
it is fairly easily derived and I'm quite certain has been published a
number of times.
                Joe