[Cryptography] Adapting AES for arbitrarily large keys

Marc W. Abel marc at clique4.us
Sun Aug 17 17:40:08 EDT 2014

Friends,

Most here would be familiar with the AES key schedule, which expands
128-, 192-, and 256-bit keys into key schedules totalling 1408, 1664,
and 1792 bits.

Would AES be any weaker had it been designated, for instance, as
AES-1408, AES-1664, and AES-1792, with keys of this size being directly
generated and used, and no subkey expansion at all?  And if not weaker,
would the resulting cipher continue to strengthen as expected every time
another round and 128 key bits is tacked on? (AES-65536, AES-1048576, etc.?)

In these questions, I do not mean to allege that AES-128 is insecure.
Nor do I allege that these aren't old and well-settled questions.  But I
do want to double-check my suspicions.

Thank you!

Marc