[Cryptography] Which big-name ciphers have been broken in living memory?

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Sat Aug 16 23:44:43 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 01:21:03PM -0700, james hughes wrote:

> Choosing security over communications (secure or nothing) is a
> tough choice for many businesses. Standards organizations like the
> IETF seem to favor insecure communications over no communications
> at all (secure with insecure fallback)).

Not yet, but I'm working on it.  Or rather changing the perspective
from "fallback" to "step-up", with cleartext as the baseline.  While
some polishing may yet happen, the basic thrust of the document is
stable enough:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-03

Mental models don't change without a fight, and plenty of cognitive
dissonance.  Thus there is also a very long and active thread
cross-posted on ietf at ietf.org and saag at ietf.org.

--
	Viktor.