[Cryptography] Which big-name ciphers have been broken in living memory?

Philipp Gühring pg at futureware.at
Sun Aug 17 04:37:03 EDT 2014

Hi,

> Do we need NIST or IETF to put the dragonglass blade into them?  An RFC
> that lists deprecated algorithms, updated on a yearly basis?
>
> (That's a serious question, btw.  As far as I know, they don't have an
> answer to the overall question...)

I thought that the standardisation institutes were responsible for that.
Isn´t NIST regularly publishing what they currently think is acceptably
useable?
In Austria, I think I regularly heard statements about the current
viability and expiration plans of various algorithms and keylengths. (for
commercial and governmental applications)
Expirations are usually planned and notified ahead of time there.
Recently I received a letter stating that they had to revoke a certificate
in my citizen-card (smartcard), since the algorithms that were used for it
had expired now, and that I would have to get a new card now if I wanted a
new certificate.

But since those are all just national standards, perhaps it´s really a
good idea to write a RFC about it and update it yearly, yes.

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring