[Cryptography] bounded pointers in C

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 21 02:06:26 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-20, 15:05, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Sorry, nonstandard terminology, I meant constantly auditing your own
> code, which in both Wietse's case and mine means taking printouts of
> code modules home to read offline at your own pace to check for
> problems.  That's not just code you've recently been working on, but
> selections of older code modules that you're re-checking in case you
> see something that didn't pop out the last time you checked.

And therein lies, I think, a clue as to why, in every case that I know,
software without security problems has been written by one person alone.

I usually find it plain awkward to read code written by others;
therefore I'd rather audit my own code than someone else's, and I
daresay that this probably also holds true for you, Peter.   And then it
does take a special kind of person that would look at his or her own
code not with awe at the wonderful thing one has made, but with an
honest intent to find mistakes.

Fun,

Stephan

PS: At the risk of incurring the wrath of list members, the pieces of
software I was thinking of are CryptLib (Peter Gutmann), Postfix (Wietse
Venema), djbdns (Dan Bernstein) and qmail (also Dan Bernstein).  Did I
miss any?