[Cryptography] Alternative to C and C++ for crypto programming?

Alfonso De Gregorio adg at crypto.lo.gy
Sun Apr 20 05:32:34 EDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Felix Ruzzoli <memmaker at 32kb.org> wrote:
> I'd like to mention a Programming Language which was built with some of the
> problems you mentioned in mind.

As nobody has mentioned it yet, I will. Cryptol [1].

Cryptol is a purely functional domain specific language, developed
over the past three lustra by Galois for the NSA, for the design,
implementation and verification of cryptographic algorithms. As
announced by Galois [2], Cryptol allows a cryptographer to:

- Create a reference specification and associated formal model.
- Quickly refine the specification, in Cryptol, to one or more
implementations, trading off space, time, and other performance
metrics.
- Compile the implementation for multiple targets, including: C/C++,
Haskell, and VHDL/Verilog.
- Equivalence check an implementation against the reference
specification, including implementations not produced by Cryptol.

[1] http://corp.galois.com/cryptol/
[2] http://corp.galois.com/blog/2008/12/24/cryptol-the-language-of-cryptography-now-available.html

-- alfonso

@secYOUre