[Cryptography] Preliminary review of the other Applied Cryptography

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 11:55:34 EDT 2014

Den 12 apr 2014 06:52 skrev <tpb-crypto at laposte.net>:

> > Actually, a quite clever, well-secured P2P DNS system has been
> > created, and IMO ought to be known and used more widely.
> >
> > https://www.namecoin.org/
> >
> > [...]
>
> Although namecoin is a cool idea it lacks one thing ... why don't it
carry the cryptographic keys to access the domains it offers, securely?
Couldn't the public keys be embedded in its blockchain?

> Namecoin could carry more than a mere naming system ... don't you think?

You can, since it is flexible in what you can store. If you directly rely
on public key based addressing like with Tor, I2P, CJDNS and more, then the
verification is automatic - the connection will only succeed if the server
has the right private key.

For other systems, you need to create new plugins that do the verification
at some level where the client software can understand the result. Usually
that means you have to proxy most software and often also have the proxy
confirm the certificates in a MITM fashion.