[Cryptography] encoding formats should not be committee'ized

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Sep 30 20:10:15 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-01 04:22, Salz, Rich wrote:
> designate some big player to do it, and follow suit?
> Okay that data encoding scheme from Google protobufs or Facebook thrift.  Done.

We have a complie to generate C code from ASN.1 code

Google has a compiler to generate C code from protobufs source

The ASN.1 compiler is open source.  Google's compiler is not.

Further, google is unhappy that too-clever-code gives too-clever
programmers too much power, and has prohibited its employees from ever
doing something like protobufs again.