[Cryptography] Gilmore response to NSA mathematician's "make rules for NSA" appeal

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 25 08:16:21 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30:40PM -0400, Kelly John Rose wrote:

> If Google, or other similar businesses want to convince people to store
> data in the cloud, they need to set up methods where the data is
> encrypted or secured before it is even provided to them using keys which

That would completely undermine their "free" (selling their customers
as a service) model. For privacy-minded, the centralist cloud model
seems to be irreversibly dead. P2P clouds are currently too unreliable
unfortunately. What we need is end to end reachability (IPv6) and
sufficient upstream for residential connections, all running on low-power
no-movable-part systems (embedded/SoCs). Most of that is still in
our future.