[Cryptography] RSA equivalent key length/strength

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 23 04:47:45 EDT 2013

Patrick Pelletier <code at funwithsoftware.org> writes:

>I'm inclined to agree with you, but you might be interested/horrified in the
>"1024 bits is enough for anyone" debate currently unfolding on the TLS list:

That's rather misrepresenting the situation.  It's a debate between two
groups, the security practitioners, "we'd like a PFS solution as soon as we
can, and given currently-deployed infrastructure DH-1024 seems to be the best
bet", and the theoreticians, "only a theoretically perfect solution is
acceptable, even if it takes us forever to get it".

(You can guess from that which side I'm on).

Peter.