[Cryptography] A lot to learn from "Business Records FISA NSA Review"

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Sep 16 10:58:18 EDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:37:07 -0700 John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
[A very interesting message, and I'm going to reply to just one tiny
detail in it...]
> We in the outside world *invented* all of NSA's infrastructure.
> They buy it from us, and are just "users" like most computer
> users.  (Yes, they have programmers and they write code, but their
> code seems mostly applications, not lower level OS improvements or
> protocols.  I'm not talking about the parts of NSA that find
> security holes in other peoples' infrastructure, nor the malware
> writers.)

Well, we do know they created things like the (not very usable)
seLinux MAC (Multilevel Access Control) system, so clearly they do
some hacking on security infrastructure.

(I will not argue with the larger point though.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com