[Cryptography] prism proof email, namespaces, and anonymity

StealthMonger StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net
Sun Sep 15 20:31:18 EDT 2013

John Kelsey <crypto.jmk at gmail.com> writes:

> In the overwhelming majority of cases, I know and want to know the
> people I'm talking with.  I just don't want to contents of those
> conversations or the names of people I'm talking with to be revealed
> to eavesdroppers.  And if I get an email from one of my regular
> correspondents, I'd like to know it came from him, rather than being
> spoofed from someone else.

That's a good description of stealthmail [1].  My only regret is that it
badly needs an update and I don't have time these days to work on it.
But it still works out of the box.  Here's the Debian description:

Package: stealthmail
Architecture: all
Pre-Depends: gnupg
Depends: procmail, esubbf, openssl, dc, libssl0.9.6 | libssl0.9.7,
 fetchmail | kmail, suck, ppp, solid-pop3d, exim | exim4, dpkg (>= 1.10.21),
 grep (>= 2.5), bash (>= 2.05b), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 Maintain on-going random cover traffic via usenet newsgroup
 alt.anonymous.messages, substituting encrypted live traffic when
 available.  A live message is indistinguishable from a random cover
 message except with the decryption keys.  All potential participants
 send messages to alt.anonymous.messages with rigid periodicity
 uncorrelated with any live traffic, and maintain an uninterrupted
 full feed from alt.anonymous.messages, so that an observer cannot
 determine whether, when, or among whom live communication is
 happening.
 .
 Members of a "stealthmail group" -- call it "OurGroup" for purposes
 of this discussion -- are defined by their knowledge of the
 encryption keys created for the group.  With this package installed,
 mail addressed to OurGroup at stealthmail does not go directly to the
 Internet like ordinary mail, but gets encrypted by the OurGroup key,
 given an encrypted subject intelligible only with OurGroup keys, and
 queued to go to alt.anonymous.messages in place of a piece of cover
 traffic at the next scheduled sending time.  Meanwhile, all messages
 appearing on alt.anonymous.messages are downloaded into an incoming
 queue.  A POP3 server runs on the local host.  The mail reader is
 provided with filters so that when it fetches mail from this local
 server, messages having subject lines encrypted for OurGroup (or any
 other stealthmail group of which this host is a member) are decrypted
 by the appropriate key and presented.  Other messages are discarded.

[1] See mailto URL below.

--

 -- StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net>
    Long, random latency is part of the price of Internet anonymity.

   anonget: Is this anonymous browsing, or what?
   http://groups.google.ws/group/alt.privacy.anon-server/msg/073f34abb668df33?dmode=source&output=gplain

   stealthmail: Hide whether you're doing email, or when, or with whom.
   mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20index.html

Key: mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20stealthmonger-key