[Cryptography] Other curves and algos used in France

Erwann ABALEA erwann at abalea.com
Fri Sep 13 16:44:57 EDT 2013

2013/9/10 james hughes <hughejp at mac.com>

> [...]
> Lastly, going a partial step seems strange also. Why do we what to put
> ourselves through this again so soon? The French government suggests 2048
> now (for both RSA and DHE), and will only last 6 years. From
>  http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/RGS_B_1.pdf

They also published their own curve (a 256 bits GF(p) one), named FRP256v1 (
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000024668816).
But since they don't provide any detail on the parameters' choice, and the
use of this curve isn't mandatory at all, I prefer the Brainpool ones.

They're also pushing for ECKCDSA adoption, by asking HSM manufacturers to
include this mechanism. I don't know anything on this.

--
Erwann.