[Cryptography] Random number generation influenced, HW RNG

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Sep 11 19:35:08 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-12 3:22 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I don't think this is true. Typically, the noise sources being used in
> hardware RNGs are very simple physical processes like shot noise. I
> think simulations of those are vastly simpler than simulations of
> human voices.

The circuit allegedly used in the Intel chip will produce a signal
substantially more complex than that.

Indeed any noise circuit, even one based on shot noise or Johnson noise
has numerous analog aspects that will alter the color of the noise, just
as the human voice is more than just a vibrating vocal cord.

And this color will change from one chip to the next, will change with
temperature, will change with overclocking.  Where does the digital
simulation get a true on chip clock to know that its overclocking is
being changed on it?