[Cryptography] Stealthy Dopant-Level Hardware Trojans

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Sep 13 12:12:28 EDT 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:49:24 +0200 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
wrote:

> http://people.umass.edu/gbecker/BeckerChes13.pdf
>
> Stealthy Dopant-Level Hardware Trojans[...]

This is pretty clearly a big deal. The fact that you can skew HRNGs
just by fiddling with dopant levels is something I would have
suspected, but now that we know, I think need for chip companies
to provide access to the raw HRNG output has become even more obvious.

It is not a question of not trusting the engineers who work on the
hardware. It is a question of not wanting to trust every
single individual in a long supply chain.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com