[Cryptography] Techniques for malevolent crypto hardware

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Sep 8 21:15:41 EDT 2013

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 20:34:55 -0400 Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org>
wrote:
> On 09/08/2013 06:16 PM, John Kelsey wrote:
> > I don't think you can do anything useful in crypto without some
> > good source of random bits.
>
> I don't see the big worry about how hard it is to generate random
> numbers unless:

Lenstra, Heninger and others have both shown mass breaks of keys based
on random number generator flaws in the field. Random number
generators have been the source of a huge number of breaks over time.

Perhaps you don't see the big worry, but real world experience says
it is something everyone else should worry about anyway.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com