[Cryptography] Market demands for security (was Re: Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN")

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Sun Sep 8 17:20:59 EDT 2013

> Not to discuss this particular case, but I often see claims to the
> effect that "there is no market demand for security".

Bill Gates 2003 "trustworthy computing" memo is a direct proof of the
opposite. He perceived lack of security, shown by reports of worms and
viruses, as a direct threat against continued sales of Windows products. And
then he proceeded to direct the company to spend billions to improve the
matter. Say what you want about BillG, but he is pretty good at assessing
market demand.

-- Christian Huitema