[Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Sep 8 16:36:15 EDT 2013

Forwarded with permission.

So there *is* a BTNS implementation, after all. Albeit
only for OpenBSD -- but this means FreeBSD is next, and
Linux to follow.

----- Forwarded message from Andreas Davour <koraq at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 09:10:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andreas Davour <koraq at yahoo.com>
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Subject: [Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

> Apropos IPsec, I've tried searching for any BTNS (opportunistic encryption mode for
> IPsec) implementations, and even the authors of the RFC are not aware of any. Obviously, having a working OE BTNS implementation in Linux/*BSD would be a
> very valuable thing, as an added, transparent protection layer against passive attacks. There are many IPsec old hands here, it is probably just a few man-days
> worth of work. It should be even possible to raise some funding for such a project. Any takers?

Hi. I saw this message in the archive, and have not figured out how to reply to that one. But I felt this knowledge needed to be spread. Maybe you can post it to the list?

My friend "MC" have in fact implemented BTNS! Check this out: http://hack.org/mc/projects/btns/

I think I can speak for him and say that he would love to have that implementation be known to the others on the list, and would love others to add to his work, so we can get real network security without those spooks spoiling things.

/andreas
--
"My son has spoken the truth, and he has sacrificed more than either the president of the United States or Peter King have ever in their political careers or their American lives. So how they choose to characterize him really doesn't carry that much weight with me." -- Edward Snowden's Father

----- End forwarded message -----