[Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 7 04:50:25 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 09:19:07PM -0400, Derrell Piper wrote:
> ...and to add to all that, how about the fact that IPsec was dropped as a 'must implement' from IPv6 sometime after 2002?

Apropos IPsec, I've tried searching for any BTNS (opportunistic encryption mode for
IPsec) implementations, and even the authors of the RFC are not aware of any.

Obviously, having a working OE BTNS implementation in Linux/*BSD would be a very
valuable thing, as an added, transparent protection layer against passive attacks.

There are many IPsec old hands here, it is probably just a few man-days worth
of work. It should be even possible to raise some funding for such a project.

Any takers?