[Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Sep 5 21:56:49 EDT 2013

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 13:50:54 +1200 Peter Gutmann
<pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:
> Does that make them NSA plants?  There's drafts for one or
> two more fairly basic fixes to significant problems from other
> people that get stalled forever, while the draft for adding sound
> effects to the TLS key exchange gets fast-tracked.  It's just what
> standards committees do.

Maybe. Yesterday I would have consistently ascribed things to
bureaucracy instead of malice. Today, I'm less sure. At the very
least, the current revelations make such things less benevolent --
whether from malice or stupidity, we can no longer sit on security
fixes on the basis that "no one will exploit them" and "they're not
important to the user".

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com