[Cryptography] programable computers inside our computers (was: Hasty PRISM proofing considered harmful)

Ruben Pollan meskio at sindominio.net
Tue Oct 22 05:24:50 EDT 2013

Quoting Viktor Dukhovni (2013-10-22 06:50:38)
> I am much more concerned about the proliferation of miniature programmable
> computers inside our computers (CPUs and programmable firmware in disk
> controllers, battery controllers, BMC controllers, with opaque binary firmware
> update blobs, and complex supply chains) that about secp256r1 vs secp521r1.
>
> We thought embedded devices were for physical infrastructure
> engineers to worry about, but now they are proliferating inside
> our general purpose computers.  The next Stuxnet will run on one
> of the invisible computers inside your computer.

At the OHM there was a good talk about this topic, showing the what kind of
things you can do with the embedded CPUs of the hard disks:
http://wipkip.nikhef.nl/events/OHM/video/d2-t1-13-20130801-2300-hard_disks_more_than_just_block_devices-sprite_tm.m4v

I think that crypto still matters, but we are starting to have a new battle
field with all the embedded devices that are everywhere and we can not control
or check if they do what they are suppose to do.

--
Ruben Pollan  | http://meskio.net/