[Cryptography] [RNG] on RNGs, VM state, rollback, etc.

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 18:50:54 EDT 2013

Philipp Gühring <pg at futureware.at> wrote:

> Why aren't more crypto projects are using HAVEGE? ....

There are at least half a dozen programs about that some
claim might replace random(4) or be used as an extra
source of entropy for it. I have written one, and the PDF
file on its page discusses several others, including
Havege,
ftp://ftp.cs.sjtu.edu.cn:990/sandy/maxwell/

If it is avoidable, I would not want to trust any of
those (or anything else, really) as a sole source
of entropy, even though as far as I can tell Turbid
is close to ideal and the others seem plausible.

As I see it, the only way to be confident in the
face of risks like the NSA fiddling with RdRand
or Turbid being messed up by a hardware
failure or virtualisation is to use multiple
sources and have something pretty much
like the random device to cache, buffer and
mix those inputs.