[Cryptography] funding Tor development

Max Kington mkington at webhanger.com
Fri Oct 18 19:08:15 EDT 2013

It would be a guess but who might want tor to continue with additional
zeal?

Silk road 2, next gen, velvet motorway etc.

So with high profile criminal proceedings the likes of which the FBI and
NCA are executing Bitcoin as fascinating as I find it technically and
socially it's getting bad press as an enabler.

Three things affect it presently.

1) legitimate users (read non criminal) are likely going to want to turn
bitcoin into real coins in jurisdictions where it might get banned in the
coming months or years. So your donations die.

2) bitcoin flows can be analysed if you don't engage in complex camouflage
techniques. The sorts of behaviour that is a hallmark of money laundering.
So you're either highly anonymous because you're able to engage in criminal
footprint like behaviour or you're a criminal. See what I did there?

3) you use bitcoin you are a criminal and you have something to hide.
Consumers of bitcoin are criminals. It's merely an extension of the 'if you
have nothing to hide' argument.

That's three for instances that occurred to me almost immediately. I'm sure
the sorts of lawyers that the tor.* folks employ are a shed load smarter
than I.