[Cryptography] funding Tor development

Moritz Bartl moritz at headstrong.de
Thu Oct 17 14:48:29 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-17 19:10, Michael Kirk wrote:
> For some reason the [tor donation page] doesnt want your bitcoins.
>
> <snip>
> Instead of donating bitcoins to Tor, please consider a donation
> to Torservers.net [7], NoiseTor [8], orTails [9] which will turn
> your bitcoin donation into a faster, larger Tor Network for all.
> </snip>

Hm. What we could do (talking as Torservers.net) is set up a Bitcoin
bucket and convert it into (cash) donations to TorProject Inc. from
time to time. Or, just provide the Bitcoins to Tor developers
directly.

All in all, I have my doubts that just offering Bitcoin on top of
the available methods (including cash in the mail) will change much.
TorProject Inc. is a big operation these days, and unfortunately
individual donations never make more than a few percent of the
budget. That said, every donation with "no strings attached" is
very useful and very much appreciated.

[
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/transparency-openness-and-our-2012-financial-docs
]

In that regard, thanks also to everyone who donates to torservers.net
and thus helps grow the Tor network.

--Mo