[Cryptography] /dev/random is not robust

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Oct 17 13:05:52 EDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 08:32 AM, Adam Back wrote:
> I think the more worrying case is a freshly imaged rack mount server,
> immediately generating keys or outputting random numbers to the
> network or

There are certainly larger system issues, and anyone doing
auto-provisioning of servers and generating keys before any entropy has
accumulated could get burned.  Though to be fair to /dev/random, isn't
this a larger Linux distribution issue?  Don't automatically generate
keys on first boot.  RNGs that need seed data should not be run empty.

But is this something that /dev/urandom might do better?  Should
blocking be added to /dev/urandom immediately after boot until some
reasonable threshold has been reached at least once?  Or on first boot
are common distributions restoring a bad seed file and /dev/random can't
tell?  Arrgh, I am starting to think that the RNG is the wrong place to
fix it.

Should RNGs attempt to detect uninitialized states and refuse to run?

-kb