[Cryptography] P=NP on TV

David Johnston dj at deadhat.com
Mon Oct 7 20:28:54 EDT 2013

On 10/6/2013 12:17 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

> Last week, the American TV show Elementary (a TV who-done-it) was
> about the murder of two mathematicians who were working on proof of
> P=NP. The implications to crypto, and being able to "crack into
> servers" was covered. It was mostly accurate, up until the deux ex
> machine of the of the NSA hiding all the loose ends at the last
> minute. J  Fun and available at http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary/video/

That gets to the heart of why I think P != NP.

We are led to believe that if it is shown that P = NP, we suddenly have
a break for all sorts of algorithms.
So if P really does = NP, we can just assume P = NP and the breaks will
make themselves evident. They do not. Hence P != NP.

Wheres my Field's Medal?