[Cryptography] encoding formats should not be committee'ized

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Oct 3 03:50:44 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-02 23:09, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> No, the reason for baring multiple inheritance is not that it is too
> clever, it is that studies have shown that code using multiple
> inheritance is much harder for other people to understand than code
> using single inheritance.�

That is because of the class of problems for which it is appropriate to
use multiple inheritance.

> The original reason multiple inheritance was added to C was to support
> collections.

Was it?   And regardless of whether that was the reason, not what it is
used for today.

> So I can't see where C++ is helping. It is reducing, not improving my
> productivity.

C++ greatly improves my productivity, in particular the memory
management classes std::unique_ptr and std::shared_ptr, though if using
them means you have to use std::weak_ptr, then one has to pause and think.