[Cryptography] Crypto Standards v.s. Engineering habits - Was: NIST about to weaken SHA3?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Oct 2 10:25:19 EDT 2013

<maybe offtopic>
On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, someone who (if I've unwrapped the nested quoting
correctly) might have been Jerry Leichter wrote:
> There are three levels of construction.  If you're putting together
> a small garden shed, "it looks right" is generally enough - at least
> if it's someone with sufficient experience.  If you're talking
> non-load-bearing walls, or even some that bear fairly small loads,
> you follow standards - use 2x4's, space them 36" apart, [[...]]

Standard construction in US & Canada uses 2/4's on 16" (repeat: 16")
centers.  Perhaps there's a lesson here:  leave carpentry to people
who are experts at carpentry.
</maybe offtopic>
And leave crypto to people who are experts at crypto.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA