[Cryptography] Why is emailing me my password?

Greg greg at kinostudios.com
Wed Oct 2 10:57:40 EDT 2013

> Hm.. that's a nice idea, but I don't think it can work reliably. What if
> the send path changes in between? AFAIK there are legitimate reasons for
> that, like load balancers or weird greylisting setups.

You're right, I think I misunderstood you when you talked about a "one time password". I thought you were referring to something users would have to come up with.

If by "one time password" you mean a server-generated token, then yes, that would be far better.

That's standard practice for most mailing lists. The token is usually a unique challenge link sent back to the user, and they can either click on it or reply to the message while quoting the link in the body. Sometimes it's also a unique number in the subject line.

- Greg