[Cryptography] Why is emailing me my password?

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Wed Oct 2 03:58:14 EDT 2013

On 10/02/2013 12:03 AM, Greg wrote:
> Running a mailing list is not hard work. There are only so many things
> one can fuck up. This is probably one of the biggest mistakes that can
> be made in running a mailing list, and on a list that's about software
> security. It's just ridiculous.

While I agree in principle, I don't quite like the tone here. But I
liked your password, though. ;-)

And no: there certainly are bigger mistakes an admin of a mailing list
can do. Think: members list, spam, etc..

> A mailing list shouldn't have any passwords to begin with. There is no
> need for passwords, and it shouldn't be possible for anyone to
> unsubscribe anyone else.
>
> User: Unsubscribe [EMAIL] -> Server
> Server: Are you sure? -> [EMAIL]
> User@[EMAIL]: YES! -> Server.
>
> No passwords, and no fake unsubscribes.

For that to be as secure as you make it sound, you still need a password
or token. Hopefully a one-time, randomly generated one, but it's still a
password. And it still crosses the wires unencrypted and can thus be
intercepted by a MITM.

The gain of that approach really is that there's no danger of a user
inadvertently revealing a valuable password.

The limited life time of the OTP may also make it a tad harder for an
attacker, but given the (absence of) value for an attacker, that's close
to irrelevant.

Regards

Markus Wanner