[Cryptography] Why is emailing me my password?

Greg greg at kinostudios.com
Tue Oct 1 18:03:39 EDT 2013

> Actually, it's only *your* password that's being emailed in the clear. It's punishment for failing to observe the first rule of this list, which is DO NOT TOP POST.

Huh?

2. The password was sent to me as part of a poorly configured mailing list bot, not any sort of "punishment".

3. Even if it was sent to me as "punishment", that is retarded.

> If you don't like the way this list is run, you are welcome to unsubscribe.

Yeah, I know. I might do that, as seeing the response to my request has convinced me there's little worth reading here anyway.

> The person running this list knows his job very well, and I'd suggest you be a bit more respectful of him.

What did I say that you feel was disrespectful? That he's failing at his job? That's not disrespectful, that's my opinion based on the fact that he is choosing to mail people their list passwords in the clear.

Running a mailing list is not hard work. There are only so many things one can fuck up. This is probably one of the biggest mistakes that can be made in running a mailing list, and on a list that's about software security. It's just ridiculous.

A mailing list shouldn't have any passwords to begin with. There is no need for passwords, and it shouldn't be possible for anyone to unsubscribe anyone else.

User: Unsubscribe [EMAIL] -> Server
Server: Are you sure? -> [EMAIL]
User@[EMAIL]: YES! -> Server.

No passwords, and no fake unsubscribes.