[Cryptography] Why is emailing me my password?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Oct 1 18:38:50 EDT 2013

On 10/1/13 at 1:43 PM, markus at bluegap.ch (Markus Wanner) wrote:

>Let's compare apples to apples: even if you manage to actually read the
>instructions, you actually have to do so, have to come up with a
>throw-away-password, and remember it. For no additional safety compared
>to one-time tokens.

Let Mailman assign you a password. Then you don't have to worry
about someone collecting all your mailing list passwords and
reverse engineering your password generation algorithm. You'll
find out what the password is in a month. Save that email so you
can make changes. Get on with life.

Lets not increase the level of user work in cases where there
isn't, in fact, a security problem.

I'm interested in cases where Mailman passwords have been abused.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | If the site is supported by  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | ads, you are the product.    | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032