[Cryptography] TLS2

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Oct 1 00:36:27 EDT 2013

At 02:27 PM 9/30/2013, James A. Donald wrote:
>On 2013-09-30 18:02, Adam Back wrote:
>>If we're going to do that I vote no ASN.1, and no X.509.  Just BNF format
>>like the base SSL protocol;
>
>Granted that ASN.1 is incomprehensible and horrid, but, since there
>is an ASN.1 compiler that generates C code we should not need to comprehend it.

Unfortunately, you have to be able to comprehend all of the failure
modes and attacks on ASN.1.

The object descriptions themselves are a bit bloaty, with their main
weakness being that either
you have to get permission to attach your data into the official tree,
or else do a vendor-specific branch, but they're not all that broken.
It's the data representations that map them into binary strings that are a
wretched hive of scum and villainy, particularly because you can't depend on a
bit string being able to map back into any well-defined ASN.1 object
or even any limited size of ASN.1 object that won't smash your stack or heap.
The industry's been bitten before by a widely available open source library
that turned out to be vulnerable to maliciously crafted binary strings
that could be passed around as SNMP traps or other ASN.1-using messages.

Similarly, PGP's most serious security bugs were related to
variable-length binary representations that were trying to steal bits
to maximize data compression at the risk of ambiguity.
Scrounging a few bits here and there just isn't worth it.