[Cryptography] are ECDSA curves provably not cooked? (Re: RSA equivalent key length/strength)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Oct 1 16:16:01 EDT 2013

On 10/1/13 at 8:47 AM, bascule at gmail.com (Tony Arcieri) wrote:

>If e.g. the NSA knew of an entire class of weak curves, they could perform
>a brute force search with random looking seeds, continuing until the curve
>parameters, after the seed is run through SHA1, fall into the class that's
>known to be weak to them.

Or NSA could have done what it did with DES and chosen a
construct that didn't have that weakness. We just don't know.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | I don't have high-speed      | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | internet. I have DSL.        | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032