[Cryptography] RSA equivalent key length/strength

Kristian Gjøsteen kristian.gjosteen at math.ntnu.no
Tue Oct 1 03:49:31 EDT 2013

1. okt. 2013 kl. 02:00 skrev "James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com>:

> On 2013-10-01 08:24, John Kelsey wrote:
>> Maybe you should check your code first?  A couple nist people verified that the curves were generated by the described process when the questions about the curves first came out.
>
> And a non NIST person verified that the curves were not generated by the described process after the scandal broke.

Checking the verification code may be a good idea.

I just checked that the verification process described in Appendix 5 in the document RECOMMENDED ELLIPTIC CURVES FOR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT USE, July 1999 (http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/documents/dss/NISTReCur.pdf) accepts the NIST prime field curves listed in that document. Trivial python script follows.

I am certainly not the first non-US non-government person to check.

There is solid evidence that the US goverment does bad things. This isn't it.

--
Kristian Gjøsteen