[Cryptography] NIST about to weaken SHA3?

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Tue Oct 1 08:56:11 EDT 2013

excerpting, we have

 James A. Donald wrote:

 > Weaker in ways that the NSA has examined, and the people that chose
 > the winning design have not.

 Viktor Dukhovni replies:

 > Just because they're after you, doesn't mean they're controlling
 > your brain with radio waves.  Don't let FUD cloud your judgement.

As "we" (here) are fond of saying, anything can be broken,
therefore the question at hand is "Who can break what at
this strength?"  This question does not have a time-invariant
answer, and, in any case, as Adi Shamir so adequately said,
"Cryptography is typically bypassed, not penetrated."[*]

Nevertheless, the value of scepticism is profound; it is
the chastity of the intellect.

--dan

[*]
www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000147.html