[Cryptography] Microsoft announces new email encryption misfeature?

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 12:10:58 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> A doctor I use tried sending me encrypted emails with a scheme similar
> to this, a few years ago.  I could never read them -- but I don't
> "open" attachments nor type my passwords into random remote websites.
>
> Looks like an epic fail to me, but people who pay Microsoft for
> operating systems may be dumb enough to use it.  Anybody know more?

That is not how I would see it. I think this is more the result of
designing the security down to meet a set of usability goals that say the
user must not take any effort ever. So they decide to deny the user any
ability to know what is happening.

To make a car analogy, if the typical usability crew were given the task of
designing a car they would remove all the gauges from the dashboard and
replace them with a soft red light to tell you everything is OK. So you
would have to drive without fuel, oil or water temperatures, no tachometer,
no speedo either. Just a big red light that is 'easy to use'.

And its not just Mr Softy that does that. Apple is just a guilty and some
of the Linux Distos are going the same way.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/