[Cryptography] [cryptography] Practical Threshold Signatures

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 13 03:43:23 EST 2013

On 2013-11-13 16:14, realcr wrote:
> 2. Can I actually trust the elliptic curve with weil pairing to do its
> cryptographic job? Maybe better asked: Can I trust it like I trust that
> it is hard to factor numbers? (Maybe even more?)

The Weil pairing is a great big hole in our usual arguments that most
elliptic curves are strong.

The usual arguments that it is likely to be hard to solve the discrete
log problem for elliptic curves do not apply to an elliptic curve with a
Weil pairing.

Samuel Neves sounds like he understands enough maths to discern what
qualifies an elliptic curve with a Weil pairing to be strong, but I do not.