[Cryptography] RSA is dead.

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 24 18:18:34 EST 2013

On 2013-12-25 08:05, ianG wrote:
> 90 mins + copious slurps of xmas cheer + rusty(C),,,, and I found it.
> effing macros, this bird is worth two in the ...
>
> I think I somewhat agree with James.  I could have rewritten that code
> in less time than it took to fund the flaw.

You probably have written a lot more code than I, and reviewed a lot less.

If that code had faced code review, reviewers would have demanded a
rewrite without bothering to find if there were any flaws.

As you say, effing macros.

Macros and templates should only be used when they provide obvious and
substantial advantages.   A multiline macro referencing external
variables is obfuscated code.  Worse than closures.

Macros and templates are justified if they are self contained and
massively re-used, or if they concisely express the concept better than
the actual implementation, for example operator less, for code that can
be and will be interchanged with any other operator less.