[Cryptography] Chinese Cryptography

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 16:21:42 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM, james hughes <hughejp at mac.com> wrote:

> No, it’s not "all stolen from America", they have universities, ...
>
> Cryptographers of Chinese origin have made significant advances in western Cryptography.
>         Xuejia Lai: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Data_Encryption_Algorithm
>         Xiaoyun Wang: The startling demise of MD5
>         Andrew Chi-Chih Yao: Received the turing award for complexity-based theory of pseudorandom number generation, cryptography, and communication complexity.

I worked for a while as an editor at Shanghai Jiatong U, in Lai's department,
improving the English in papers that various people there were sending off
to conferences and journals. The English ranged from appalling to excellent.
The range of topics I saw papers on was very broad, as was the range of
journals & conferences they were going to. The quality of the work, as far
as I could tell, varied fairly widely as I think it might at any university.

However, I can say quite definitely that some of the grad students doing
crypto stuff with Lai and others were very sharp indeed.