[Cryptography] Chinese Cryptography

james hughes hughejp at mac.com
Thu Dec 19 14:56:57 EST 2013

On Dec 19, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl> wrote:

> It's all stolen from America?

No, it’s not "all stolen from America", they have universities, Chinese crypto conferences, their own crypto standards. Quite a long history independent of the US.

Cryptography is quite an open subject. There are quite a few good conferences where these things are shared publicly and the Chinese do attend.
	http://www.iacr.org

Cryptographers of Chinese origin have made significant advances in western Cryptography.
	Xuejia Lai: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Data_Encryption_Algorithm
	Xiaoyun Wang: The startling demise of MD5
	Andrew Chi-Chih Yao: Received the turing award for complexity-based theory of pseudorandom number generation, cryptography, and communication complexity.

> Good call though. Wonder if they have their own cyphers.

One algorithm that I know of, SMS4 has had public cryptanalysis.
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS4
They offered it for a standard and was rejected even there has been no flaw found.

> Maybe their espionage works well. In that case they can know if the Americans have tricks around their own cyphers, and they just use those that can't be broken. Or that can be broken, in those special cases.

Every country that has the means, has their own cryptography and cryptanalysis capability.