[Cryptography] Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

Greg greg at kinostudios.com
Mon Dec 16 14:38:00 EST 2013

On Dec 14, 2013, at 4:05 AM, James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:

> Is OK turtles a design, a vision of a design, or an actual product, an open source product or a closed source product?

You've asked this question in two threads, but the question is more detailed in this thread, so I will copy and past my response here and to the other thread. For the future, please post your replies to the other, DNSNMC/okT-specific thread.

DNSNMC is an actual open source project (_not_ "product". It is not commercial). I will be posting the source to a github repo very soon, but as stated on the website, in the amount of time that it takes me to do that, you could have already written your own "pre-alpha implementation". It takes less than 100 lines of javascript to do that.

okTurtles is "a vision of a design" for an open source project (not product).

> If it is an actual thing, I should be able to get a human readable name, associate that name with a network address, and other people should be able to have secure communications between a name that they control, and a name that I control, and thus between themselves and me.

Yes.

> I don't see any way to do this now.  So I conclude that OK turtles is a vision of how a design should be implemented, a proposed way of squaring Zooko's triangle, not an actual product that squares Zooko's triangle.

Zooko's triangle has been squared already by Namecoin, but there is no existing software that makes it simple for everyone to actually take advantage of this fact.

DNSNMC takes one step in that direction.

okTurtles takes yet another step.

Read the paper and/or visit the website for details:

http://okturtles.com/other/dnsnmc_okturtles_overview.pdf

Cheers!
Greg