[Cryptography] [cryptography] Which encryption chips are compromised?

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Tue Dec 10 19:11:37 EST 2013

 >     * (TS//SI//REL TO USA, FVEY) Complete enabling for [XXXXXX]
 > encryption chips used in Virtual Private Network and Web encryption
 > devices. [CCP_00009].

For this to be an explicit line item in that document, it
has to be special.  The two classes of "special" that occur
to me are (1) XXXXXX has a near monopoly (like Broadcom
does in its sector) or (2) XXXXXX is uniquely vulnerable to
blackmail (a merchant with an export control problem, say).

But in related news:

Engineers abandon encryption chips after Snowden leaks
http://rt.com/usa/snowden-leak-rng-randomness-019/

--dan