[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Wed Dec 4 13:58:00 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:39:27PM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> What I really want from a crypto key management device is that it be
>
> * Small and light
> * Have processor and display capabilities
> * Be possible to control the operating system build completely
> * Be cheap enough to be a burner machine
>
> Which is how I started thinking about the Kindle. It is pretty much ideal
> in every respect, at least after it is jailbroken.
>
> And very unlikely that anyone has backdoored the existing stocks.

How do you want to tranfer your crypto bits? Do you want to use
network/wifi/serial or usb storage devices; IOW should the device be
offline or online?

I doubt the Kindle has USB-OTG so you would have to stick to wifi,
I guess.

Btw. does someone know cheap HSMs? The cheapest one I found was the
yubikey HSM and it doesn't have good support for x.509 key management.

Greetings,

  Hannes